3.21.2018

5 Movies With Ties To Asia #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

The movies in this list all have a connection to Asia. There's a small variety of countries...Vietnam, Turkey, and the rest India. The connection is often characters but sometimes also the country itself. I realized I easily had 5 with this connection, so here we are. Do enjoy. 

Bride and Prejudice - This was directed by Gurinder Chadha. She's the lovely director of such lovely things as Bend It Like Beckham. I had heard good things about this movie and rented this from Blockbuster when I had my two pre-teen nieces (well they're actually cousins, but they're more like nieces) over to spend the night. i was thinking that I wanted to watch something fun but also something a little different than their usual fare. I often do this with my nieces and nephews, and it only sometimes turns out to be something they really like. I think they got bored with it a bit, but it's just because they were dumb teens with no attention span. I liked it.

2 Learning to Drive - This was directed by Isabel Coixet. watched this fairly recently on Netflix. I was specifically looking for women directed movies. It had big names in it. I liked watching this fine, but to me it was pretty old hat with the characters and casting and storyline...

3 What's Cooking - This was directed by Gurinder Chadha again (Ijust realized that...I guess i'm a Gurinder fan). Don't hold me to this, but I beleive i saw this on HBO back in the early 2000's when we used to get it free at our apartment. I remember liking it and thinking it was a solid indie movie. I'd watch again if it came up.

4 After the Wedding - This was directed by Susanne Bier. I watched this on Netflix recently specifically because it was directed by a woman as well. any random found on Netflix is a coin toss, but I lucked out on this one. I liked it a lot and thought it had a certain sweetness to it. I recommend.

5 Mustang - This was directed by Deniz Gamez Erguven (the u in Erguven has those two dots, but I don't know how to type that on this computer). I saw this, again, because it was women directed and on Netflix or amazon or something, and by golly, I LOVED it. I've saved the best for last. This is a fab movie, and it even got a good SSL Review. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment