2.09.2018

5 Movies #DirectedByWomen About Women Freaking Out About Love and/or Marriage



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

We're heading towards Valentines Day with it's focus on a certain type of love  - a love that scares some. In fact it scares some so much that they make movies about how scared they are of it...or maybe how strange they feel that they aren't experiencing what they believe that certain type of love to be (usually related to seeing their friends get married). They also never consider anything outside of a monogamous long-term relationship, and honestly, it might be a more interesting movie if they did. But anyway - that, my friends, is the focus of ALL the movies in this special Valentine edition of the 5 #DirectedByWomen movie list.  Enjoy.

Post Grad - This was directed by Vicki Jenson. I saw this fairly recently on Netflix, I believe. Michael Keaton is the dad in this, which was a surprise. I enjoyed it. It's my kind of alone on a Saturday night watch.




2 Laggies - This one was directed by Lynn Shelton. So, this one was a surprisingly fun movie, and a better take on the very similar theme all these movies share. It's just a little weirder and more fun for my taste. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched this on probably Netflix? Amazon? I don't know. something streaming. You might be too.





3 Cake - This was directed by Nisha Ganatra. I saw this also on something streaming some night when I was chillin' alone eating fancy cheese and crackers and chocolate for dinner. This is not the Cake with Jennifer Aniston. this one came first. I liked watching this one too. It was what I was looking for.




4 It Had To Be You - This was directed by Sasha Gordon. I believe (and I hope I'm not just talking out of my ass here - I'm going from memory) that this director is also a composer who did the music for this movie as well as directing. You can tell. This is an indie movie, but the music is more interesting and dynamic than most indie movies. It makes a HUGE difference - because honestly indie movie music can be pretty terribly boring and cliche. That, plus the generally well made-ness of this movie makes it something I would definitely recommend.





5 Landlines - This was directed by Gillian Robespierre. She had previously directed Obvious Child, which I really loved so I sought this out when it was released. I love the main actress in this, and I thought it was a really entertaining movie that in its weirdest parts, was pretty intriguing, but if I'm being real honest had a much more stale voice on long term relationships and monogomy than I was hoping for. But, that said, it is still a really good movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment