4.15.2017

5 Movies About Love #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, today I'm feeling sweet, so you will get a list of movies involving LOVE that I have seen, and that are directed by women.  So get a snack, a beverage, and get ready for a selection of of lady-made movies that I highly recommend (although some are not for the weak of heart).

1 Big Stone Gap - This one is directed by Adriana Trigiani. I saw it one day recently on a Saturday when I was looking for a movie to stream while I was folding clothes. It was a solid Saturday afternoon flick, and real sweet to boot.





2 Sleepless in Seattle - This one was directed by Nora Ephron. I saw this on VHS pretty close to when it came out back in the early 90's. I enjoyed it as a young teen. I don't think I've really seen it since then though, but if it came on TV one day, I'd watch it again.





3 50 Shades of Grey - This was directed by Sam Taylor-JohnsonI saw this streaming about a year after it came out.  I read (actually listened to) the whole series of this book because it was all the rage and involved ladies and sex, and I thought the sex was absolute shit on realism (It had a terrible SSL Review). However, in the whole series, I thought the love stuff was actually not that bad - and much better than in the Twighlight series from which this was fan-fictioned. I enjoyed this movie, but it too (not surprising given the book it was adapted from) got a bad SSL Review - which was actually a guest SSL Review from Barnaby because I was in Brazil for work when it came out.






4 Go Fish - This was directed by Rose Troche. I saw this one on VHS sometime in the 90's - probably after 1995 when my BFF Leslie started driving and could take us to Blockbuster. We used to get really indie and also lesbian and gay centered movies (which were pretty much really indie back then) all the time. It was kinda during the indie movie LGBT boom, and we really liked watching them. We were all edgy and shit here in Indy with our edgy indie movies - but in all seriousness, I think this and movies like it opened the world up in important ways for a lot of people.




5 By the Sea - This one was directed by Angelina Jolie. I saw this streaming less than a year after it came out. I really had wanted to see it because i liked the trailer, and I'm glad I saw it. It wasn't quite what I had expected and hoped for, but it had some aspects to it that I really loved. It's quite a pretty movie as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment