12.12.2015

5 Pre-1950's Period Pieces #DirectedByWomen !!!



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time. It's not usually about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because 1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and 2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media - means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms and sexuality. You can find all my lists HERE.

This is my pre-1950's Period Piece list - for when you want to look at women in long dresses.

1 Suffragette - This was directed by Sarah Gavron. I caught this in the theaters not too long ago, and I really enjoyed it. It's a quite pretty movie, and it has a simplicity to it that I really appreciated.





2 Frida - This was directed by Julie Taymor. I saw this in the theaters back when it came out in '02. Love Frida Kahlo, and loved this movie.



3 Little Women - This was directed by Gillian Armstrong. I'll be honest. I watched this movie instead of reading the book my freshman year in high school. Well, I think I read some of the book, but then I just stopped. I probably had to make a diorama or something stupid like that for the related project so it didn't really matter if I read the book or not - and I prefer movies.





4 The Piano - This was directed by Jane Campion. Let me be honest about this one too. I haven't seen it all the way through. Back in 1993 when my parents had rented it, I snuck into the living room late at night and fast forwarded the video tape until I saw the part everyone had been talking about - Harvey Keitel's limp dick. It was not as exciting as my young heart had hoped, but it was a dick, so it was cool enough. since then I have seen more of it, but not all the way through. I vow to watch it all someday.





5 Marie Antoinette - This was directed by Sofia Coppola. This is on my top fave movie list. I know it didn't get good reviews when it came out. Critics gave it a lot of shit, but that's a bunch of bull, and they're wrong. So...that's that (if you need to discuss this further, please do let me know).

No comments:

Post a Comment