10.06.2015

Vulva not Vagina: Orgasm Equality Awesomeness from Mary Katharine Tramontana



The post I'm writing today will be short, but please don't confuse that with my lack of enthusiasm for the subject. I'm just in a hurry. The article I'm posting about today is straight kick ass, and the woman who wrote it gets Orgasm Equality Hero status. I put her right on The List (it's ever growing).

Anyway, I saw this article called Ladies, and Gentlemen, the Vulva. by Mary Katharine Tramontana. Of course I'm gonna check it out - because vulva and because you know I like saying Ladies. To my great joy I quickly realized the article was about using the word vagina in place of the word vulva - which is some bullshit that happens WAY too much. And further, I realized that Ms. Tramontana was placing this vocabulary situation in the context of a world that regularly ignores the important, lady-gasm giving parts of the female genitalia to focus on the inner gentleman-gasm giving parts. I fell in love just a touch.
When we say vagina, we're collectively ignoring the visual aspect of female anatomy, the clitoris and the labia, with language. The vagina is the way that guys who have sex with girls come. Since Kinsey's 1953 landmark book Sexual Behavior in the Human Female, we've known that most women need direct clitoral stimulation (by a hand, a mouth, or some other object) to have an orgasm. And yet, how many times do we still see, in movies or television, the depiction of a woman's orgasm as a result of cock-penetration alone? That we call the female gentials "the vagina" speaks volumes about the politics of sex. "Vagina" keeps the focus on straight male pleasure. 
Fuckin' A! Spit that truth Ms. Tramontana!
Don't use the word "vagina" unless you're talking about a vagina. Using the word "vagina" incorrectly obscures women's sexual pleasure and continues the myth of The Mystery of Female Sexuality. Mysticism should not be confused with ignorance or censorship. Viva la vulva!
Viva la Vulva indeed! Go read the full article HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment