2.02.2014

"10 Surprising Facts About Orgasms" Mini Series #6



Googling around about female orgasm, I quickly found an online Woman's Day (of I-think-that's-like-an-old-50's-house-wife-magazine-or-something fame) article called "10 Surprising Facts about Orgasm." Thus, the "10 Facts Series" was born so I could share my thoughts on each of these 10 list items - 1 per day for 10 days. Check HERE to see all that have been done so far. Now enjoy number 6.




6. Women who mix things up in the bedroom have more frequent orgasm.If you have trouble reaching orgasm during intercourse, consider switching things up, says Dr. Herbenick. “It is significantly easier for women to experience orgasm when they engage in a variety of sex acts as opposed to just one act,” she says. “For example, vaginal sex plus oral sex would be linked to a higher likelihood of orgasm than either one of them alone. This may be because more sex acts mean that people spend more time having sex.” 
I'm not opposed to mixing things up in the bedroom. Please do. Variety is the spice of life, but I think this "fact" is misleading - not terribly misleading, but just kinda misleading. I mean, I figure there's got to be some correlation between variety in the sexy time and communication between partners, and communication has got to help with ladygasms, right? Since the most standard, common, go-to type of sex act, intercourse, doesn't often involve a female orgasm, I imagine some amount of communication would help to get other, possibly more clit stimulate-y options on the table. So, I kinda get the connection that's being made here.

However, I think if you have trouble reaching orgasm during intercourse, some generic advice like "switch things up, sista!" isn't going to be very helpful. Does that mean getting it in the butt for a bit after regular old vag sex would be more orgasmic? How about a boob job added to some doggy style? I would say the mixing it up isn't the helpful thing here. It's the adding of clitoral stimualtion, so really this should just say, "Women who get enough clitoral stimulation during their bang-fest have more frequent orgasms...since. you know, clitoral stimulation is literally what causes orgasms, so if you don't include it, then good luck getting an orgasm, my friend." That's how I would have worded it at least. And I really don't buy Herbenick's thought that "For example, vaginal sex plus oral sex would be linked to a higher likelihood of orgasm than either one of them alone." Yeah vaginal plus oral would be better than just vaginal sex, but would that combo really be better at giving a gal an orgasm than just a good ol clit lickin'? Oh, I think not, I. think. not.

No comments:

Post a Comment