2.17.2013

Vulva Cupcakes (Not Vagina Cupcakes)



Since this post includes sweets and female genitals, I'm going to call it my late Valentine's Day post. I'm sure most people have seen the pic of these vulva cupcakes by now. It's been floating around on the internet for a while. I'm not really sure where this pic first came from, but it's pretty good; enough detail, a nice amount of variety, and you know, they're cupcakes, so you gotta eat em' - which I think is a great fate for a vulva.

You know I can't just leave stuff alone though. I always gotta get all serious and take the fun outta everything, so here it is. It'll be quick. I just want to point out that if one were to look these up on the internet, one would find them called both "vulva" and "vagina" cupcakes. Vulva is the correct description. The vulva is the outer part of the female genitals - all the fleshy, flappy, wrinkly bits. The vagina is the thing penises, fingers, dildos and tampons often enter and where babies come through on their way out the womb.

I know people often use the word "vagina" to describe what is actually the vulva even when they know the real definitions. I think to a lot of people it just sounds better. I mean vulva does sound kind of like a sensible car. However, I would like to just make the point that mixing up the word vulva (which is where all the sensitive, orgasm creating parts of ladies reside) with the vagina (which is where we have the intercourse) is indicative of how confused our culture is about what needs stimulated to induce female orgasm. I mean the vulva has the clit and the sensitive lips and all the really good stuff. The vagina is kinda like the workhorse. They are very different things, yet it's as if the female "down there" is not important enough or understood enough to make the really key distinctions. We don't mix up the penis and balls on a man. I'm just saying maybe if we all started making the correct distinctions between vulva and vagina in our language, that might begin to help more people make that distinction in their sexy bedroom encounters.


No comments:

Post a Comment